Content Is Key
Getting your website noticed takes time, money and effort. However, not everyone has a huge budget to promote their website, and even if you do, it takes more than simply throwing money at it to obtain long lasting results.
It is far better and hugely more lucrative in the long term to have a well thought out Web Content Strategy.
If you have read any of our previous posts then you may be starting to get the understanding of just how important fresh and original content is to your website and other social media.
Promoting your website to get noticed may sometimes feel somewhat challenging or even a little overwhelming, but if you bite off small chucks at a time then it can be a lot more bearable and far more manageable.
In promoting your website, your main aim is to attract traffic. Traffic = customers, customers = sales, sales = $$$.
How is traffic generated?
Well, other than spending on advertising, it’s through creating regular high quality and engaging web content. The more quality content that you create, the more potential there is that people will both find your website and once they find it, stay longer, so long as you maintain their interest.
Create Your Content Strategy
Here is how to create your detailed content strategy. Follow this guideline:
1. Be Realistic With Your Content
There’s only so much time in any day and you will have many other tasks to perform, so aim to be realistic about how much content you are able to create.
If you are only able to create one great high quality article or piece of content per week, then stick with that. Alternatively, spend a few dollars and hire a professional web content writer to create high quality and engaging content for you.
2. Be Smart With Your Content
Your aim is to be helpful, useful, powerful, so produce content that will help fix a problem or ease someone’s pain point, or content that will resonate on an emotional level.
Don’t waste your time producing tons and tons of low quality web content that nobody needs or cares about.
3. Understand Your Competition
Identify who your competitors are, what they do and how you can be different to set yourself apart and to stand out among the crowd.
There are a number of software tools which can help with this; some have free or low cost trials. Which ones you use in the long term will depend on your budget.
- Majestic SEO
Once you have checked out your competitors, base your web content strategy around how you can differentiate yourself from them, rather than copy what they do.
4. Tell Me What You Want, What You Really Really Want!
Apologies for the Spice Girls reference, but it was playing on the radio at the time of writing this blog, so it seemed appropriate 🙂
If you really want to grow your business then you need to know who your audience is, what they search for and what gets them excited. Try Google searches around your own products or services and note what appears in the suggestions at time of searching.
What do you offer your audience? What solution do you have for them? How do you tap into their emotions?
Use your Google Analytics as a great tool to understanding your target audience, look at the Audience feature but especially view the interests and demographics tabs.
Ask people you know, friends, colleagues, family, ask your customers.
Try a survey to your existing customers asking them pertinent questions, such as, their experience dealing with your business so far, what would they like to see, how can you improve, your delivery system, follow up procedures, etc.
Be prepared for their responses though. You may or may not like their answers, however both positive and negative results can allow you to learn and tweak your products or services, processes and procedures.
5. It’s Time To Get Writing
So you’ve done your research and you’re pretty confident what your audience wants. Now is the time to Brainstorm as many ideas as you can, don’t discount anything at this time, just write it down on whatever medium suits you, paper, whiteboard, laptop, whatever works for you.
For most folk, creating content can be boring, tedious, frustrating, even challenging. Here are some tips to get the creative juices flowing:
- write about every idea you have, just let it flow.
- just write, don’t edit, that can be done later.
- make your web content original, deep, engaging, high quality.
- the intention of your content is far more important than keywords or key phrases.
- when using keywords they should be placed logically and in the context of your content being written. Overuse of keywords simply takes away your credibility and doesn’t allow your message to flow.
- your content should be at least 500-800 words.
- Your Title or Headline needs to attract attention or curiosity, so make it count
- Add the highest quality photos or other visuals; blurry, cheap looking or poor quality just looks bad.
- Once your web content is ready, share it on social media platforms as well as your website. The more people who see it the better.
- Maintain a regular schedule for creating your web content. If that becomes difficult to maintain, then use a professional web content writer.
6. Social Media Sharing
While your website is a priority to have it looking great, full of interesting and engaging content and SEO optimised, you also need to share your content on social media.
Many, or most actually, of your potential customers will research businesses and products on social media before they go to a website and purchase.
Therefore, it is necessary to build and nurture a loyal following on social media, which will help drive traffic, increase engagement and result in higher conversion rates/sales on your website.
Start with Facebook, as nearly everyone uses it regardless of age or demographic. Stats show that people look at Facebook on average at least 15 times per day.
7. How to Build Trust and Authority and Gain Followers
Building Trust and Authority are paramount to your ongoing success.
If you are unable to build a high level of trust and show that you are the authority in your niche or area of expertise, then it will be very difficult to get people to visit your website or Facebook page and consequently purchase from you.
Some tips on how to build credibility for your website and brand:
- Make sure every piece of web content that you create is of the highest quality
- Dare to be different to set yourself apart from the pack
- Tell and develop a story around your brand
- Be helpful, informative and solve problems. People love a solution to their problem
- Give away great content for FREE while not expecting anything in return and with no strings attached. In the eye of your customer, getting something of great quality for free is simply awesome
8. Build Links and Use Directories
Your main objective will always be to build your brand and following and to drive customers to your website, however there is more that you can do to help your website to get noticed.
- Build links to your blog posts, Facebook posts and other social media content
- Register your website and business details with local directories and directories further afield
- Contact bloggers, social media influencers etc. Ask to be a guest writer/blogger on their site. They may like to reciprocate as well.
9. Paid Advertising or Pay Per Click (PPC)
This one will depend highly on your budget. PPC campaigns can be extremely effective but can also eat through your budget very quickly, so ensure that you have a clear strategy before embarking on any PPC campaign.
- Be very clear on your goal
- Decide how much you are willing to spend
- Determine relevant keywords or key phrases to your niche or brand
- Use one keyword or key phrase per ad
- Bid on keywords, bear in mind that the bid price can vary quite a lot depending on popularity
- Develop attention grabbing headlines
- Ensure links to landing pages reflect the intent of your ad. There is nothing worse for a potential customer if an ad takes them to a page that is irrelevant and not what they expected upon clicking on your ad
- Monitor the results of your ads and make changes as necessary
Let’s Wrap This Up
To summarise, a well though out, clear and regular web content strategy is key to your success.
You don’t need a huge advertising budget to get noticed, however you will need to put time and effort into attracting paying customers to your website.
Remember that this is a process and isn’t something that will magically achieve results overnight; it takes time to build trust and authority and loyal followers. How long did it take to build Rome?
High quality content is of the utmost importance. Be helpful, informative and solve problems.
Know your audience; research and understand who are you targeting.
Maximise your SEO on your website. Make sure that titles, product descriptions, keywords, meta descriptions are maximised to full effect.
Break your content writing tasks down to bite size chucks and tackle a piece at a time. This helps to keep you on task and to not get overwhelmed.
Be willing to educate yourself, learn what works and what doesn’t and be prepared to make changes along the way. It takes time to be an expert.
If you don’t feel that you have the time, skills or inclination to produce regular high quality web content for your website and social media then hire a Professional Web Content Writing Service.
Ask us any questions or obtain a quote here.